Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Day 6 - Heading To Istanbul/Constantinople

Day 6 started early as we have a 10:45 flight out of Cairo to Istanbul. Everybody meets down for breakfast at 6am for a 6:30 departure from the Sofitel Gezirah. It is bittersweet as we have all enjoyed our time in Cairo immensely. In addition, we know that it will be a long time before any of us stay in a hotel as nice as this one again. Amazing views of the Nile, marble everywhere, sweet guard dogs.....all of it was amazing. However, we are so anxious to get to Istanbul. I see Joe at breakfast, and he looks a bit rough. Apparently the street kabob is getting the best of him. This is disturbing to Paul and myself for obvious reasons.

Getting to the airport goes smoothly, and we all get to the gate pretty quickly. We stop in the Americanized food court and grab McDonald's as we wait for our plane. I look over at Joe and I ask him "how are you doing?" His response....."I am on the brink of disaster. As a preemptive manner, I grab one of Rob's Cipros as it knocked his pain out pretty quickly. I get on the plane, and about 3 minutes later, I am completely passed out. I get woken up for the dinner service, spend 6-8 minutes eating, and immediately fall back asleep. When I wake up, I am on the runway in Istanbul.....bring it on!

We grab our bags and meet up with our new guide, Husam (scarily similar to Essam). His teeth are an interesting color and aren't what I would call straight, but he seems like a lot of fun. We hop on the bus and headout immediately on our culture tour. Driving down the road is simply amazing. The first thing I notice is that there are traffic lights and that people actually stop at them.....astonishing. The coastline to our right is simply stunning. The water in this country is amazing. I am blown away by the views, and I get more and more excited about our trip here....

Culture tour to come

Drew In Istanbul

No comments:

Post a Comment